Since January 2013 I have been on a mission to cook all of my own foods to become debt free. Since starting this journey I have been paying more and more attention to the nutritional value and “bang for my buck.” I started out spending $100 or more for 2 weeks worth of groceries. I am now at $75 and under, if I do go over it is usually because I buy meat other than chicken, which is rare. Now the question is how do I do it and buy enough to feed myself and my son…. I am going to explain.
- Once you set your grocery budget plan your meals.
- Stick to your grocery list
- Save your receipts
Now after a few weeks’ worth of receipts do the following:
- Check how often you buy the same thing (i.e. ketchup)
- Write out what goes into your meal and cost it (add the ingredient prices and divide by how many servings you get from it)
- Plan your trips based on these recipes and items
This may seem boring or as if you are buying the same thing over and over but as you keep doing it you will get better at it.